Partition Table Doctor Quick Start Guide
Posted by Ricky Watson to Partition Recovery
Partition Table Doctor focuses on partition recovery and quick data recovery. It is designed for deleted partition recovery, corrupted partition recovery, partition fails to boot repair, MBR problems and quick data recovery.
If you want to recover files due to deletion, format, partition lost or damage, system crash, etc. especially under Windows Vista/2008/Windows 7, our free data recovery software - Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition is recommended. It works well with hardware RAID and hard drives, SD and Memory Cards, etc.
1. Download the demo version of Partition Table Doctor.
2. It is better to install Partition Table Doctor on a working drive and attach the drive you want to recover (bad drive) as the 2nd drive (Please see: How to install a hard drive?). If you're not sure how to create a master/slave setup on your computer, there is an excellent article with detailed instructions on how to do so here.
3. How to use?
I. Lost or deleted partition? MBR and Partition Table Error:
- When we try to boot after hardware testing procedures, we see just blank screen without any messages
- Not found any [active partition] in Hard Disk
- DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
- Invalid partition table
- 'Invalid Drive Specification' messages
- Partition deleted by FDISK or PQMAGIC
To Recover Partition Table, please select "Rebuild Partition Table" on menu "Operation".
If your computer fails to boot, install the bad drive on another machine and use "Rebuild MBR" or "Rebuild Partition Table" to fix the bad drive. If you are not with another machine, please use the .iso file to create a bootable CD.
II. Boot Sector of Partition Error:
- Missing Operating System
- Invalid media type reading drive, Abort, Retry, Fail?
- File system is displayed as 'RAW'
- Windows may ask if you want to format the drive
- File names contain 'weird' characters
- 'Sector not found' messages
Fixboot is very good at repairing boot sector of partition. For more detail: fixboot.
III. Data Recovery
If you want to Get data back from the lost partition, corrupted partition... you might use "Browse" to see whether your lost data can be recovered by this tool. Partition Table Doctor features with the "Browse Root" function by which you can make sure whether it worth purchasing to recover your data.
See the picture below.
- Never install Partition Table Doctor on the mechanically bad drive,
- Never use the virus-infected drive as the boot-up system drive (C),
- Never have temporary files and folders copied on the bad drive,
- Never copy the recovered files to the bad drive,
- Create an image first if the bad drive has mechanical problems.